Sunday, June 23, 2019

"Are You Crazy? Don't Splash"

"Are You Crazy?  Don't Splash"
All submitted to the Quilter's Consortium 2019 Challenge!  There should be between 20-30 other quilts from consortium members.  They will be unveiled at the September 19-20, 2019 consortium meeting and Best of New York State Quilt Show, held at the Watson Homestead near Painted Post, NY. 

My husband took photos of the original 1885-86 splasher and I had them printed on the travel bag I made for my quilt.  In staying with the tradition of lace edgings on splashers, I crocheted a lace trim on the edge of mine.

This was a fun journey from start to finish - when I first saw the antique splasher, to doing the research on all the motifs (and in many cases, finding the original source), to creating and finishing my quilt.  All the time working on it, I felt a connection to the original makers A.E.M and A.E.T. - thinking about what was happening in their lives, and why they chose the motifs they did.  I couldn't help but wonder if a mother/daughter or grandmother/granddaughter team made the 1885-6 splasher.  The motifs they used come from pre-civil war sources (1858) to 1886 - almost a 30 year range.   Plus, I was remembering my mom, on how she taught me how to embroider when I was a little girl of 6, and how she would crochet the edges of the pillowcases we made.

Now I have to get back to working on The Velvet Hex - my crazy quilt I started a while ago....


No comments:

Post a Comment